Though some of the graphics were fun, Research 101 did not seem to have a lot of useful information for anyone who has ever done any sort of research at all, both on the internet and in a library database. There were not tricks and tips as much as explanation of how to find good and reliable sources, which many elementary schools begin teaching to their 3rd grade students.
The step beyond this basic research is what I was interested in learning about. What I am not knowledgeable about yet is interviews and cultural experiences as a way of researching a topic. If stuck in the academic world, writing a research paper would be fairly straight forwards. It is the hands on, cultural research that I am unsure of. (However, I realize that it is difficult to practice this type of research through an online program.)
Note: (added 05/28)
Receiving instruction and insight from a lecturer like Tanya Matthews from the UW human subjects division, as we did last Thursday, was exactly what I felt was missing from the study abroad research review. We were shown how methods of research are allowed to come into being, as well as proof that hundreds and hundreds of these such projects are working right now, in real life, and even for money! Encouragement and background information like that was what I needed in order to understand how to begin viewing my own project and how it was going to be functional in the real world. To me this lecture was infinitely more useful than the basic information given online. It gave a much needed jolt of energy into the process of figuring out what will need to happen before, and later in Berlin.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment