Thursday, May 22, 2008

Signs of Progress...

Since last week's blog I have discovered that there is a very specific group in Berlin that has to do with education of underprivileged youth in the arts. (This group's name is Fusion Street. A special thank you to Lauren and her computer for finding for me what I spent hours of searching for, with no luck!) I hope to make contact with the director of this program for interview purposes, as well as to see if I can do a case study on one or possibly two students from the program. (If there are no summer programs in session to observe, the experiences of each individual child may be discovered through interviews with the teachers.)
In addition, I would like to see if Manuela has any important contacts that she could help me with on this topic, or even on the topic of the general education system in Berlin: How is it different from America (in the sense of when the career decision is made, to put children on specific tracks), How it affects the choices of children without money for further schooling (is this applicable?).
Finally, I would like to gather information from similar arts programs here in the US (probably most specifically in Arizona, where I will be spending most of my summer, or in Seattle if I can find things out over email). This will serve as an basis for comparison so that I have documented what my biases will be when viewing programs and education systems in Berlin.

1 comment:

Shanga Parker said...

Nice summation for your group and questions for yourself. Our contact and assistant/graduate student in Berlin has plans to get us in touch with Fusion Street. Good research!